Thursday, January 10, 2013

Found Poem Instructions


Found Poem: An exercise in looking beyond the “given” to make new discoveries

Step 1

Find a passage, not a poem or a set of song lyrics, that is approximately a hundred words in length.  It may come from one source or it could be a combination of sources.  Make sure the passage is interesting and employs interesting word choices and images.  You can use the internet to locate these passages or use sources such as advertisements, obituaries, letters, diary entries, news articles, junk mail, etc.

Step 2

Copy the passage TWICE into Microsoft Word.  SINGLE space the first passage, DOUBLE space the second one.

Step 3

Study the words you found.  Eliminate words that are dull, unnecessary, etc.  Your goal is to edit the original 100 words down to 50 words.  Feel free to change punctuation, however YOU MAY NOT ADD ANY WORDS at this point. 

Step 4
When you get your original 100 words down to 50 words,
REMOVE ANOTHER TEN, for a total of 40(ish) words.

Step 5

Read your edited draft one more time.  Study the remaining words and arrange them into a poem.

-         Consider how word choice emphasizes key words
-         Play around with rhythm and internal rhyme to heighten readers’ interest.
-         You may add a maximum of FIVE words to help smooth transitions. Please put these additional words in BOLD font
-         Read aloud as you arrange your words; before you paste the line on the page, perhaps read it aloud to a friend. 
-         Is there a better title than “found poem”?  If so, add it as your poem’s title.
-         Finally, at the bottom of the page, cite your source.  Always give credit where credit is due! 

Step 6

Print out your poem when you finish.  If you do not finish, save and send to your email so that you can finish at home tonight and bring the final product with you to class tomorrow. 


Sample Found Poem

Please format your paper as shown below:

Original Passage: 118 Words

Today was a good day.
I went out.
I was seen.
I would walk the earth over and over in this condition with Hunchie,
if I could go with my Mom and Lucy (and Betsy).
We went to Whole Foods and bought salmon for dinner.
Mr. Nielson grilled it up and everyone dined on fresh delicious fillets for dinner.

Mr. Nielson lay in bed with the children down the hall.
Lucy put Betsy down for the night and we talked about life last year and how totally different it is this year. Lucy read me a little bit from her journal. Last year my hair was buzzed, I was frightfully skinny and my baby was calling Lucy "Mom".

* http://nieniedialogues.blogspot.com/2010/02/my-sister-luc.html

My Found Poem: 42 Words

Last Year

Today was a good day.
I went, was seen,
walked the earth over,
and dined.

With the children down the hall,
Mr. Nielson and I talked about life last year,
when I was frightfully skinny
and my baby was calling Lucy, "Mom".




No comments:

Post a Comment